On November 12, 2009 I started a 6-Month Experiment in Living. I wanted to see what would happen if I took 6 months to truly live. That simple choice to take a chance and venture into the unknown forever changed my life.
Why is “What would you do if you had 6 months to live?” so powerful?
- It’s a focusing question. It invites you to dream about that which is most important to you.
- The freedom to be you. If you really had 6 months to live, you probably wouldn’t care as much or at all about what others thought of you, be it society, your peers, colleagues, family, etc.
- No more procrastinating. One day becomes to-day.
Experiments are often easier to take on than permanent life changes. Worst case scenario, the experiment doesn’t work out, and you go on with your life as is. Best case scenario, you gain something. Perhaps something life changing or magical happens.
How the 6-month Life Experiment Works:
- Ask yourself, “What would I do if I had 6 months to live and absolutely went for it? What would I do? Where would I go? How would I act? Who would I spend my time with? What, if anything, would I change?”
- Live it. Day 1 to Day 182 — see what happens. They can be big things, little things, cups of coffee, telling someone you love them, writing letters of gratitude, trips you’ve always wanted to take, moves you’ve always wanted to make. It’s your life and totally up to you!
- Share it. Tell your friends, family, a stranger, your journal and/or me. Tell them what you’re doing and why. You’ll inspire people. Post on social media, using the hashtag #6moexperiment
What this Life Experiment IS:
- An opportunity to take a chance and get an extra boost towards your dreams and what is most important to you.
What this Life Experiment is NOT:
- An excuse to be reckless with your life.*
My hope is that everyone who reads this is completely healthy. I started this experiment because it’s easy to go through our lives on auto pilot. I didn’t want to wake up one day and ask myself, “Where did my life go?”
Life is Waiting. Will You Join Us?